Day Three: A hopefully not too brief reprieve from my Internetless self pitying, and I’m fairly sure everyone around can hear me listening to taylor swift right now

Seventeen days without Internet in my room.

Easily my favorite day so far. It was also my most Internetless, which is weird. I hadn’t been online at all until right now (10:30 p.m.), but I was doing things all day, so I didn’t have much down time to miss it, I suppose.

Also, tonight marks my first time out in the city after dark. For some reason, I was under the impression the entirety of NYC turned into a murderous ghetto immediately at dusk. I don’t know what I expected. Maybe I was just afraid of going out alone. I seemed to have forgotten that this is not Western New York, and everyone is not in bed by 8 p.m. Manhattan is very much alive in the evening. And after dark is most definitely the best part of the day.

Granted, I was only around Lincoln Center and Columbus Circle, but god damn those places are amazing at night. Watching everyone come out of the ballet/opera/Columbus Circle mall was something else, I tell you. I’m going to spend every night for the foreseeable future sitting in Lincoln Center by myself, trying to convince myself to second-act the ballet. It seemed like a changing of the tides. It was definitely promising.

The jury is still out on whether or not tonight will be a critical moment of this summer, but so far there have been two seminal moments during my stead in Manhattan.

The first occurred Monday at approximately 6:30 p.m. I had finished doing the minimalest (that one’s for you Argus) amount of shopping (what I bought: three apples, three bananas, a box of tissues, stainless steel water bottle, Season 1 of “Happy Endings” and Season 3 of “Parks and Recreation” on DVD) and I was walking across Columbus Circle, heading back to my building for the night, because I was still too cowardly to be out when the street lights turn on. It had just begin raining lightly, and I didn’t feel like frantically searching for dinner, so I bought a hot dog from the vendor right in the middle of C.C. (calling it that from now on, fuck you, and I may just refer to as “Sabathia” from now on because this having no Internet thing is starting to get to my head and I don’t care anymore).

Eating that hot dog as I walked up Central Park West in the rain trying my hardest not to get ketchup/mustard on my pretendingtobelonginmanhattan pants was when it hit me how cool this summer is going to be. As long as I don’t fuck it up by being a whiny idiot who can’t appreciate how lucky I am to be doing this just because I have to sit in the lobby of my building to use the Internet.

I can’t fucking think of the second moment. Which makes it seem like it isn’t very monumental, but I swear it is, I just can’t think of it now because it’s getting very crowded in this lobby and it’s almost the end of day 3 so I have to post this soon and fuck fuck fuck. If I remember tomorrow, I’ll write it tomorrow. It was something. It was good too, I think.

Oh well. Moving on.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think I’m starting to come around. I don’t want to jinx it, but I don’t feel quite as bad as the first two nights. I think I could get used to this whole living in Manhattan thing.

And tomorrow I’m going to the Central Park Zoo. By myself. Because that sounds like the greatest idea I’ve ever had.

-Ben Cosman